Ecobee’s been in the thermostat biz for a long time, but its first few smart models weren’t quite able to match the appeal of Nest’s stylish Learning Thermostat. When the time comes for you to buy a smart thermostat, don’t overlook the Ecobee4. With an interesting array of features — including a built-in speaker and mic that embeds Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant into your HVAC controller — as well as great temperature control capabilities, this product is literally bringing the heat.
Flash forward six years and Nest still sells the same old’ thermostat for the same $249 price.
Ecobee’s software and support make the experience as painless as possible, but even in an ideal scenario there’s still drilling, rewiring, and configuring settings and services just the way you like them.
The Ecobee4 is easy to install. Screw on the mounting plate, thread through the wires and attach the thermostat in place of your old one. Unlike many thermostats, smart or not, the Ecobee4 comes with one remote sensor.
Once the hardware is in place you’ll have to use the Ecobee app to sign up for an account and link the accessory to HomeKit and/or your Amazon account. You can’t just use the iOS Home app, as the HomeKit pairing code must be triggered on-screen.
The Ecobee4 is an Android and iOS-compatible thermostat with an integrated color LCD touch display. It has a refined, modern look, but it wouldn’t be out of place in more traditional homes. The apps and the thermostat’s slick touchscreen interface work identically, which is nice, and there’s a web dashboard for taking deeper dives on settings and system monitoring.
The Ecobee4 is a thermostat with a speaker stamped into its backside, but temper your expectations on cranking out high-quality-sounding music. For listening to podcasts, news updates, controlling smart home gear, or asking random questions.
ecobee4 Alexa-Enabled Thermostat with Sensor, Works with Amazon Alexa
- With built-in Alexa voice service, Ecobee4 can listen to your voice commands and responses. Have it set a timer, read you the news, adjust the temperature, and more.
- It also comes with a room sensor that helps manage hot and cold spots in your home, delivering comfort in the rooms that matter. And because they can detect occupancy, they can automatically enable the right mode on your Ecobee4 for energy savings when it senses no one is home.
- Comes with built-in Alexa Voice Service, so you can ask your ecobee to set a timer, read you the news, adjust the temperature, and more. With Far-field voice technology, your ecobee4 can hear you from across the room.
- Room sensors help manage hot and cold spots in your home, delivering comfort to the rooms that matter most.
- Easily adjust temperature and comfort settings from anywhere using your Android and iOS devices. Also works with Apple HomeKit, Samsung SmartThings, IFTTT and more.
- Save an average 23% on heating and cooling costs each year. Learn more at ecobee.com/savings.